Drone insurance

Specialist Insurance for Drones. We keep you flying.

Whether you use drones as part of your business or you fly your drone as a hobby, all drone operators need insurance. If you use your drone for commercial reasons, then it’s a legal requirement. The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) state that if you’re flying your drone for commercial purposes, you must have Public Liability cover. And if you’re using your drone for business purposes or personal use, then insuring your drone against accidental damage, loss and theft could save you a lot of money down the line. Let’s face it, accidents happen!

5 stars

5-star insurance for drone owners

Under the Ripe Insurance umbrella we will soon be launching new commercial and personal drone insurance products. We understand that everyone’s insurance needs are different. That’s why all of our products are 'unpackaged' so you can pick the cover you need to build your perfect policy. We also always offer a Best Price Guarantee so you can be sure we’ll never be beaten on price.

Find out more

Insurance for Drone owners explained…

Here at Ripe we like to keep things simple. We pride ourselves on making insurance easy to understand so our customers know exactly what they’re paying for and why. Here are some of the questions we’re asked by customers and you might be thinking too.

  • Do I need drone insurance?
    • If you fly your drone for commercial reasons it is a legal requirement for you to take out Public Liability cover. This is stipulated by the CAA (The Civil Aviation Authority) who govern the flight of drones in the UK. Public Liability cover will protect your legal liability if you damage third party property or injure another person whilst using your drone. This includes cover for acts of war, terrorism, hijacking, acts of sabotage, unlawful seizure of your aircraft and civil commotion (required under EU Regulation No 785/2004). Insuring your equipment is not legally required, however it is a sensible precaution given the high cost of drones and how easily they can be damaged or lost.

  • How do I become a qualified pilot?
    • Most people refer to it as a licence, but in order for you to use your drone for commercial use you actually need Permission for Commercial Operation (PfCO) from the UK CAA. This means you need to be educated in air law and safe operations of your drone, build an operations manual, undertake a flight test and apply for permission to fly from the CAA. This whole process can take 2 months and the CAA turnaround time for new applications is 4 weeks. In order to take your flight test you will need Public Liability insurance. You will soon also be able to purchase this cover from Ripe Insurance for a one-off fee which will be reimbursed against your annual premium once you’ve passed.

Not what you’re looking for? See all our specialist insurance products.

Please enter a valid email address.

Please Please tick one of the boxes below.

Let's stay in touch.
Sign up to receive special offers and exclusive discounts.

Your data is safe with us and you can unsubscribe at any time. For more information, please see our Privacy policy. We also work with a few, carefully selected retail and leisure partners. Please click below if it's ok for us to send you offers and information from these partners from time to time.

Thank you for subscribing, you’ll be hearing from us soon!